Toronto’s buses, streetcars and subways are environmentally friendly and provide an efficient means of transport, however, they can also lead to serious injury due to their difficulty to maneuver, stop and avoid blind spots.
It was recently reported that a third person, in a three week span, was struck by a TTC streetcar. The man, middle-aged male, was hit by a streetcar while on Queen St. West shortly before 1:30am. As a result, the cyclist was taken to the hospital with a serious head injury, said EMS.
“All our operators get extensive training and their first priority is the safety of their riders and obviously, the traffic around them,” said DeToma.
It’s not always clear who is at fault in collisions involving TTC vehicles, but that the TTC makes a record of every incident, even minor ones, he said.
“We log a lot of kilometers. Incidents do happen,” said DeToma.
TTC streetcars carried passengers over 12.4 million kilometres in 2013.
“TTC operators get a lot more training than the average driver on the road, that’s for sure.”
Queen streetcars travelling in both directions were temporarily rerouted via Spadina Rd., King St. and Church St. Thursday morning. By 7 a.m., they resumed their normal routes and were operating without delays.
If you have been in an accident, it’s important to assess the situation and take the necessary precautions. It is important to have a team of professionals on your side that can guide you through the legal process and explain what rights you have. Call the trusted legal team at Diamond & Diamond™ to find out if you have a case.
STEPS TO TAKE IF YOU’VE BEEN IN A BUS ACCIDENT:
- Stop and assess the situation
- Call 911
- If you are physically able to, get as much information from everyone at the accident scene especially any witnesses. Write down the tag numbers of the vehicles involved in the accident
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicle involved in the accident
- Only speak to the police officer
- Review the police report and make sure all of the information is accurate
- Call Diamond & Diamond™ immediately at 1-800-567-HURT™ (4878)